For off-the-rails public transport information
Public consultation exercises have happened around the UK regarding redevelopment of Bus Services and of the Bus Station areas.
A list of priorities have emerged to promote increased public transport use:
- Wait over space for buses and coaches – preventing delays and more empty vehicles on the town and city centre roads
- Proper under cover, warm, well lit facilities for bus users, easy access to town centre shops and a centrally located bus station
- Out of town park and ride and traffic bans from town centres except for dropping off and picking up.
- Proper facilities for bus users 24x7 and services to match
- For all bus services to use the same bus station
- Segregate park and ride from regular buis services – different brand, function and should have different livery with proper timetabled service and stops painted on outside of bus
- Later evening buses – till midnight and all buses running via train Stations – no excuses!
Roads to be made bus and cycle only and ban cars!
- Make High Streets pedestrian, cycle and bus only and delivery vehicles. All other traffic direct around the orbital roads.
Basically this present development raises the question on what sort of future we are staring at in our towns and cities? Do we want cars and pollution or less cars and greater carrot and stick for people to use buses, cycles, walking and train services?
In the past many Borough Councils have shown themselves to be mainly car orientated and rarely if ever promote buses and as a result don't know how the other half live, hence they come out with proposals which treats bus users as second class citizens, destroys town centres for people first then profit, making profit the only sociological aspiration in development and planning. The results will be long term and far reaching.